How To Get A DCA Car
DCA vehicles may be reserved for use in traveling to DCA group activities, America Reads tutoring sessions, and service learning classes.They are not available for individual volunteer activities, field service, or research activities. No personal use of the vehicle is permitted; use of a DCA vehicle for personal purposes will result in immediate suspension of use of DCA vehicles for service activities.
To check out a DCA car you must have a defensive driving card from Denison and a current driver's license on file with the the Center for Service Learning.
- To get a defensive driving card you must first complete the written test, which you can take online by visiting the Campus Resources section of MyDenison. Click on the Security tab to find the Defensive Driving Course page.
- After passing the online test, you must also take a driving test. Please call Don Roach in the Safety and Security office (ext. 6482) to schedule the test.
To reserve a vehicle, call extension 6384 or 6474, or stop in at our office in the basement of Higley Hall.
Procedures and Requirements for Using a DCA Vehicle
Car packets with keys, gas cards, and instructions are picked up at Security on P1 and the cars are parked on P4 in the garage. Students with a reservation go to P1, sign a log, pick up the packet and then go to P4 to pick up the vehicle. The following agreement is printed on the mileage slip and students agree to the following conditions when using a DCA vehicle:
- A mileage slip must be completed for each trip.
- The student must walk around the vehicle and inspect it, reporting any damage, prior to leaving the garage.
- No cell phone use — texting or voice — while driving. If you need to use your cell phone, you should pull over and park.
- You must return the vehicle with 1/2 tank of gas. If it is below 1/2, fill it up before returning to campus.
- Remove all of your trash from the vehicle when you return.
- Report any accidents immediately.
- You must return the vehicle no later than the time you reserved it for; other students may be waiting to take the vehicle out, and if you are late it can create problems for others with their reservations.
Mileage Reimbursement for DCA Activities
In the event that a DCA vehicle is not available at the time a student needs it for a DCA volunteer activity, the student may request mileage reimbursement for use of their personal vehicle.
The following conditions apply:
- The student must obtain prior approval from the Center for Service Learning.
- If a DCA vehicle is available and the student chooses to take their own vehicle instead, approval will NOT be made for reimbursement.
- Students must complete a DCA Mileage Reimbursement Form and turn it in to the Center for Service Learning.
- As of spring 2011, reimbursement will be 15 cents per mile for DCA use.
Mileage Reimbursement for Service Learning and America Reads Activities
The conditions above apply, however mileage will be reimbursed at 50 cents per mile and the Service Learning and America Reads Mileage Reimbursement should be completed instead of the DCA mileage reimbursement form.