Haiti Relief Efforts
Haiti Relief Coordinating Committee
The purpose of HRCC was to coordinate the campus's efforts with regard to fundraising, education and outreach following the Haiti earthquakes. The group represented many student organizations and interests, including Denison Community Association, Greek life, faith organizations, and others. We were able to share ideas and labor, hosting a smaller number of more effective events. In addition to fundraising, HRCC provided information about current conditions and education about Haiti's ecological vulnerability, its development struggles, and the problems of responding to the crisis caused by the earthquakes.
Student Contact: Emily Morrison (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Faculty Contact: Laurel Kennedy (email@example.com)
- Amnesty International
- DCA Knitting Coop
- Denison Christian Community
- Green Team
- Panhellenic Council
- Kappa Sigma
- Lambda Chi Alpha
- Red Cross
The following organizations have helped raise funds that could be allocated to any of the following recipients: Clinton-Bush Fund, International Red Cross, Habitat for Humanity International, Children's International Lifeline.
Grand Total: $15,400 as of 4/26/2010
Campus organizations: $9,084
Pump and Run/Walk: $950
Relief Concert: $1,300
Brew's Cafe: $4,066
- A Pump and Run/Walk was held on April 18 for Denison and community members.
- On March 28, a concert was held with Denison and local community groups performing.
- On March 8 and 9, SGAC sold Spring Break grams, with proceeds going to Haiti relief.
- Denison hosted a lecture called "The Haitian Earthquakes: Why They Happened, What Was Left Afterward, and How We Can Help". Read This Week In Licking County's Article about this event.
- Denison Christian Community worked with Dining Services and Student Activities to arrange tabling in Huffman and Curtis, selling paper hearts over Valentine's Weekend.
- On February 19, Denison Habitat, Tiberius Records, and Brew's Cafe presented a concert by the following groups: The Garrison, Ampline, Ease The Medic, and The Black Owls. Donations were accepted at the door.
- D-Day Eve Dance Party, "Hope for Haiti" was held on February 10 following the Brews concert. Donations were accepted.
- The DCA Knitting Coop sold hand-made winter scarves and hats in the colors of Haiti's flag during the last two weeks of February.
Haiti earthquake coverage:
History of turmoil:
Haiti earthquake coverage:
- Clinton-Bush Haiti Fund (http://clintonbushhaitifund.org/)
- Children's International Lifeline (http://www.childrenslifeline.com/)
- International Red Cross: http://www.icrc.org/eng
- Brews & Habitat Facebook Event page“Help Haiti” event: http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#/event.php?eid=262364188497&ref=mf