After working toward their diplomas for four years, a 60-minute delay seemed relatively trivial. Shortly after noon on Mother's Day (May 12) in Granville, Denison's Class of 2002 was processing from Swasey Chapel on College Hill to the Lower Fine Arts Campus for the University's 161st Commencement ceremonies. Suddenly, the darkening spring skies, which had been cooperative throughout all of the morning's events, decided to remind everyone of just how fickle mid-May weather can be in central Ohio.
The rains came just moments before the ceremony was scheduled to begin, forcing the nearly 5,000 in attendance — including seniors, family members, guests, faculty, administrators and dignitaries — to scramble for cover in several nearby campus buildings.
- Media Coverage from the Newark Advocate by L.B. Whyde
- President's Welcome by Dale T. Knobel
- Trustee's Welcome by Ro Nita Hawes-Saunders
- Senior Class Address by Yaida Oni Ford
- Announcement of Senior Class Gift by Amanda J. Heintz and Phirin Lorth
- Commencement Address by Tony P. Hall
- Baccalaureate Address by David O. Woodyard
- Commencement Program [pdf]