Subject Guide: Chemistry & Biochemistry
The Library's Subject Guides help you find resources that are specialized for certain areas of study. There are many other resources available which provide generalized information--not specific to one topic or area. To see more of these general resources, see the Subject Guide: General page.Science Liaison - Moriana Garcia
Databases provide information about journal, magazine and newspaper articles.
- BIOSIS an important resource for searching biochemistry topics
- Computers & Applied Sciences Complete covers food science and chemical engineering topics.
- General Science Abstracts includes popular science magazines as well as professional journals
- History of Science, Technology and Medicine includes books, journal articles, proceedings and dissertations
- PubMed provides access to sequence information
- SciFinder Scholar a research discovery tool that allows you to explore the CAS databases containing literature from many scientific disciplines including biomedical sciences, chemistry, engineering, materials science, agricultural science, and more.
Notice that you need to register using this link while on campus to be able to access the database.
- Web of Science Citation Indexes an important resource for a broad range of topics
Reference books provide background information on a people, terms and concepts.
- Access Science an online science encyclopedia
- Dictionary of Organic Compounds / Chemistry Library QD246 .D46 1996
- Encyclopedia of Materials Science and Engineering / Chemistry Library TA402 .E53 1986
- CRC Handbook of Chemistry and Physics / Multiple Locations QD65 .H3 2002-2003
- International Critical Tables of Numerical Data, Physics, Chemistry and Technology
- Kirk-Othmer Encyclopedia of Chemical Technology / Chemistry Library TP9 .E685 1992
- Knovel Critical Tables
- Lange's Handbook of Chemistry / Chemistry Library QD65 .L362
- Smithsonian Physical Tables (9th Revised Edition)
Here are a few web sites we think you might find useful:
- Internet and Departmental Resources from the Denison University Chemistry Department
- American Chemical Society
- Google Scholar
- Google Patents
- National Science Foundation: Division of Chemistry
- Organic Syntheses: A Publication of Reliable Methods for the Preparation of Oganic Compounds
- The Royal Society of Chemistry (Great Britain)
- Scirus a search engine for scientific information
- Spectral Database for Organic Compounds, SDBS
- Selected Classic Papers from the History of Chemistry
- WebElements periodic table online
- Links for Chemists/Virtual Library Chemistry Section
- Chemical Synthesis Database
Here are a few of the journals available via the web in this field:
- Science 1997-present (access through the publisher Web site)
- Science 1880-2004 (access through JSTOR)
- ACS Publications
- Annual Review of Biochemistry
- Journal of Biological Chemistry all articles prior to 2003 are open access
- Journal of Chemical Education
- PubMed Central digital archive of many life science journals. See the full list for years covered and restrictions.
- Scientific American Archive
- To determine whether we have a journal available online, please search the CONSORT catalog or use the Electronic Journal Finder.