Subject Guide: Spanish
The Library's Subject Guides help you find resources that are specialized for certain areas of study. There are many other resources available which provide generalized information--not specific to one topic or area. To see more of these general resources, see the Subject Guide: General page.
Humanities Liaison Librarian - Joshua Finnell
Databases provide information about journal, magazine and newspaper articles.
- Chicano Database
This database indexes journal articles about Mexican-Americans and also covers the broader Latino experience of Puerto Ricans, Cuban Americans, and Central American immigrants.
- Clase and Periodica
Clase and Periodica indexes documents published in Latin American journals specializing in the social sciences, humanities, science and technology.
- Economia y Negocios
This database provides citations in Spanish for articles on business and economics from over 200 Spanish and Portuguese-language periodicals published in Argentina, Brazil, Chile, Colombia, Spain, the United States and elsewhere.
- Foreign Language Video Database:
A growing collection of foreign language video clips in which native speakers elaborate on a wide variety of topics about their culture, family, daily life, and more. Each video is accompanied by a description of its contents, the country of the speaker, and additional grammar and vocabulary notes. QuickTime format.
- Fuente Academica
This database provides scholarly journal articles in Spanish covering many academic areas including business & economics, medical sciences, political science, law, computer science, library & information sciences, literature, linguistics, history, philosophy and theology.
- Handbook of Latin American Studies
- Hispanic American Periodicals Index (HAPI)
- Humanities International Complete
- Humanities Index, 1974-1996 AI 3 .H8 (Annex Floor 1A)
- MLA International Bibliography
- MLA Bibliography, 1921-1992 Z 7006 .M64 (Annex Floor 1A)
Reference books provide background information on a people, terms and concepts.
- Encyclopedia of Contemporary Spanish Culture DP233.5 .E63 1999
- Latin-American Spanish Dictionary PC4822 G65 2000
- The Oxford Spanish Dictionary PC4640 .O94 2003
- A Reference Guide to Latin American History F1410 .R395 1999
- Oxford Reference Books Online: Bilingual Dictionaries
The online version; search many dictionaries at once, or choose one to search.
Here are a few web sites we think you might find useful:
- AltaVista Babelfish Translation
- Ethnologue.com - Languages of the World
- Librarians' Index to the Internet: Spanish page.
All kinds of resources related to Spain and the Spanish language, including online dictionaries, cultural sites, and more; all selected for quality by librarians.
- Spanish Language News & Magazines: an exhaustive list of publications on the Web. Assembled by MIT.