On-Line Computer Usage Restrictions
Users of Denison's residential network are subject to the same rules, embodied in the Acceptable Use Policy [pdf], as all other users of Denison's network resources.
In addition, residential network users may not operate servers of any sort without the permission of Information Technology Services. Students who operate unregistered servers will have their residential network connection interrupted until the server is deactivated.
Residential network users who wish to operate a server of any sort must sign a server registration form, indicating that they are familiar with the restrictions of copyright law and understand that they are liable for any violation of copyright law that they commit.
- Information Technology Services reserves the right to interrupt network service at any time if it determines that a violation of copyright law has occurred or if a student is consuming a disproportionate share of network resources in a way that affects general network performance.
- Access to student servers may be interrupted by Information Technology Services at any time.
- Students will be held responsible for all violations of federal and state law and Denison Acceptable Use Policies that originate from their servers.
- Any use of Denison's network for commercial purposes, violation of copyright law, or other violation of the Acceptable Use Policy will result in immediate termination of access to the student's network connection until the offending material is removed.
- Under normal circumstances, servers will be accessible only from on-campus locations.
Students who wish to make their server accessible from off-campus locations must submit an application, available at the Student Help Desk. Information Technology Services will evaluate the applications and reserves the right to reject any application. Off-campus access to student servers may be interrupted by Information Technology Services at any time. Any use of Denison's network for commercial purposes, violation of copyright law, or other violation of the Acceptable Use Policy [pdf] will result in immediate termination of off-campus access to the student's server for the remainder of the academic year.