Denison receives $200,000 grant from Booth-Ferris Foundation
Date of Event: February 11, 2011
Posted: February 11, 2011
The Booth Ferris Foundation has awarded Denison University a $200,000 grant for the renovation and expansion of the Ebaugh Chemistry Laboratories.The grant will aid in the 17-month project, which involves both a major addition (19,252 square feet) and an extensive renovation of the existing L-shaped building, resulting in a finished structure totaling 51,675 square feet.
The Booth Ferris Foundation’s primary interest is in the fields of education, arts and culture and civic affairs. Anne Stengle, development officer for Foundation and Corporate Relations at Denison, notes, “We are thrilled the Booth Ferris Foundation remains committed to capital projects at small liberal arts colleges. This grant underscores their confidence in our innovative science pedagogy and faculty-student research programming.”
In accordance with Denison’s commitment to sustainable architecture and construction, Denison will seek Leadership in Energy and Environmental Design (LEED) certification for this project, a nationally accepted benchmark of environmental construction from the U.S. Green Building Council.
The new facilities are designed to advance Denison’s “hands-on,” experiential teaching and learning, where collaboration is a key element. Students work across disciplines, with biologists, chemists and physicists, for example, conducting collaborative research.
Denison University, founded in 1831, is an independent, residential liberal arts institution located in Granville, Ohio. A highly selective college enrolling 2,100 full-time undergraduate students from all 50 states and dozens of foreign countries, Denison is a place where innovative faculty and motivated students collaborate in rigorous scholarship, civic engagement and the cultivation of independent thinking.
For press inquiries:
- Barbara Stambaugh
- Position Title
- Director, Media Relations
- Primary Email
- Business Phone
- (740) 587-8575