Standards & Policies
Denison University is a community where individuals respect one another and their environment.
Each of us possess a full range of rights and responsibilities and foremost among these is a commitment to treat each other and our environment with unconditional respect. With mutual consideration and trust, our community will thrive as a place of liberal learning and humane life.
- As a university, we value learning and scholarly work.
- As a community, we share common purposes, governance, bonds, and traditions.
- We treat each other with respect. Civility is a cornerstone of our community.
- We value our campus and respect our environment.
- We respect individuality. We celebrate diversity as a strength from which we grow and learn from one another.
- All interactions, academic and social, are characterized by integrity.
- We take responsibility for acting in accordance with our community's standards and rules and for reporting violations of those standards and rules.
Housing policies can be found in the Student Resident Agreement and Housing Contract.
Arrival Information (First Year Students)
Due to conference use of facilities and facility renovations, student check-in prior to the Thursday before the first week of classes cannot be accommodated.
Since there will be a large number of first-year students arriving, you are asked to plan your arrival according to the times below, or as near as possible:
- 8:30am — 9:30am -- Last names beginning with the letter A through H
- 9:30am — 10:30am -- Last names beginning with the letter I through P
- 10:30am — 12:00pm -- Last names beginning with the letter Q through Z
- 11:30am — 12:00pm -- Open check in
Students arriving after 12:00pm (noon) should pick up their keys at their respective service center. Please keep in mind orientation begins at noon.
Please report directly to your residence hall lobby to check-in. Refer to the campus map in your new student notebook to check whether your residence hall is located on the East Quad, West Quad, or North Quad of campus. East Quad residents need to enter campus through the Main or Northeast entrance. West Quad and North Quad residents will enter campus through the Northeast (follow the road up the hill adjacent to the athletic stadium) or the Southwest entrance (off Burg Street next to Shorney residence hall).
Arrival Information (Returning Students)
Student check-in prior to the Saturday before classes start cannot be accommodated.
Check-In Dates & Times
- Saturday prior to start of classes, 9:00am — 8:00pm
- Sunday prior to start of classes, 9:00am — 8:00pm
For all residence halls on the East Quad, you may use either the Main entrance or the Northeast entrance to campus. For all residence halls on the West Quad and North Quad, you may use either the Northeast entrance and follow the road up the hill adjacent to the athletic stadium or you may use the Southwest entrance off of Burg Street next to Shorney residence hall.
- East Quad - park your car as near to the back side of your residence hall as possible, then immediately report to the Huffman Service Center where you will pick up your room key.
- All Other Buildings - park your car as near to the back side or front side of your residence hall as possible, then immediately report to the Curtis Service Center where you will pick up your room key.
Columbus Transportation (1-800-476-3004) from Columbus offers shuttle service to and from Denison University. It is our understanding the charge is approximately $65 for one or more.
Yellow Cab Company
Yellow Cab Company (740-345-3334) of Newark also offers service to and from Denison University. The charge is approximately $60 for 1 person; with another $5 charge for each additional person.
Mailing & Package Information
Packages and trunks shipped ahead may be picked up at the package distribution center located on the second floor of Slayter Hall Student Union. Students will be asked to present photo I.D. and claim slips found in Slayter mailboxes to claim packages.
Mail packages to:
Slayter Box # (example: 0000 Slayter Union)
Granville, Ohio 43023
Dining Hall Meal Start Up Hours
The residential board plan does not begin until brunch on the Sunday before classes start. The snack bar in Slayter Union will be open during limited posted hours on Saturday and Sunday of opening weekend. Flex dollars can be used in Slayter starting on Sunday.
Denison University's commencement exercises are typically held on the second Sunday in May from 12:30pm — 3:00pm. This follows final examinations and a four-day senior week during which graduating seniors spend time socializing, packing, and participating in campus activities specifically designed for them.
Graduates are expected to vacate their residence hall rooms no later than 7:00pm the evening of Commencement.
This means that they have packed, moved out, and returned their residence hall room key to the university by 7:00pm. The information and expectation about the departure of graduates is communicated by the Office of Residential Education and Housing via each student's individual housing assignment letter mailed in August (in a special insert that reminds students of important dates and times), and is also mentioned in commencement information mailed from the President's Office. Specifically, it is noted at the bottom of the On-Campus Accommodations Reservation Form sent to the families of graduating seniors.