Where’s your nook?

Print

It’s that time of year again. Daffodils are sprouting around campus. The weather is alternating between its lion and lamb personas. And the students are planning spring break trips for next week. But before they can head out to relax or launch into service projects, they have some work to do. Midterms are in full swing and students are scattered about campus—noses in books and fingers typing away.

We got curious about students’ favorite study spots, so we took an ultra unscientific poll to find out where they like to hit the books.

Answers seem to cover all areas of campus. Quinn Bartlett ’13, an athletic training major from Philadelphia, likes to work in his room, while Austin Vanco ’14, a sociology/anthropology major from Twinsburg, Ohio, much prefers a spot in Slayter pit. Sarah Bonti ’13, a psychology and educational studies double major from Westport, Conn., likes natural light, so she parks herself beside the windows in Talbot.

And if you’re looking for Alex Rollins ’14, a biology major from Nashville, during crunch time, you’ll have to search the library, which seems to be a pretty popular option among students. Rollins says you have to come early to find a secluded spot.

What do you think? Post a comment below...

(Address will not be made public)

Current day month ye@r *

6 × = twenty four

Comment Policy

Please note that new comment ratings will not appear immediately, but rather will be reflected within a few minutes.

2:30 PM April 24, 2012

Christine Birdwell, ’53 wrote:

I liked the rare book room in the Doane Library–comfy chairs and lovely illustrated editions. Is it still there?

(0)

1:28 PM March 29, 2012

Kate kendall wrote:

I liked the stacks in the very back of the old library, against the far west walls. The dorms were always party central, so if you needed to avoid distraction, those remote corners were the best place to contemplate lessons or life. Now I’ve become an academic librarian, I wonder if the Doane stacks influenced my choice of a career.

(0)

7:43 PM March 28, 2012

Halden Grimm wrote:

William Howard Doane Library. I was married and living outside of Newark when I was in my last years at Denison, and I spent my between classes time at the library. I also remember that I spent most of my Christmas break there in 1966, preparing for the comprehensive exams that were a graduation requirement at that time.

(0)

7:28 PM March 28, 2012

Bill Kempey wrote:

I loved studying in the Presidents’ room in the library. If I got bored it was always nice to be able to take a break to flip through one of the musical scores from the shelves.

(0)

2:05 PM March 28, 2012

Glen Sanders wrote:

The Music Reading Room, second floor of the library, was my favorite place to read (and sleep) between classes.

(0)

1:41 PM March 28, 2012

Sally hagenbuch demartini wrote:

Back in the “olden days” when we just had books and paper, my favorite place was in the library, top floor in the stacks. Not too many people up there so it was nice and quiet!
Sally Hagenbuch DeMartini, Class of ’71, (Poli Sci)

(0)

12:39 AM March 21, 2012

MANNY wrote:

2nd Floor of the Library…Even though I don’t always get work done there, it’s a great place to hang out with friends.

(0)

5:23 PM March 9, 2012

Philip Heald wrote:

I liked the laundry room in the basement of King Hall.

(0)

12:12 PM March 9, 2012

John Kester III wrote:

Higley and Burton Morgan!

(0)

9:42 AM March 9, 2012

Frank Jansen wrote:

Barney Hall had some great hide-aways where I did quite a bit of my studying, although a lot of my work was done at a Tektronix 4010 graphics terminal in Dr. Grant’s office, as I was generating plots of stellar compositions as they evolved.

(0)

12:36 AM March 9, 2012

Mai kaige wrote:

12 of these 15 pictures have apple products in them. coincidence?

(0)

TheDen Archives