‘I Love Granville’

Print

How it works:

Participating businesses choose a discount to offer patrons. (Five to fifteen percent is suggested.) They receive an I Love Granville decal to put in their business windows, and permission to use the logo to advertise their commitment to the program.

Customers pay a $10 fee to the Chamber of Commerce and commit to spending $100 in Granville each month. They receive an I Love Granville shopping bag, decal, and key tag. They simply show the key tag to participating businesses to receive their discount. Students may join for no annual fee and a reduced spending commitment. To learn more, check out the I Love Granville website, which Alanna Kaiser had a hand in building.

When senior Alanna Kaiser joined the newly minted Sustainability Fellows this fall, she had no idea that part of her job would be to work closely with the Granville community to promote local buying. The project is called “I Love Granville.” Kaiser, who hails from Cleveland, and a group of other students work with the Granville Area Chamber of Commerce and many area businesses to encourage them to offer small discounts to patrons of the program.

“It’s amazing to me, from a student perspective, that there are so many businesses in Granville that I’ve never heard of,” says Kaiser. “It’s exciting to think that this campaign has the ability to introduce students to these businesses that they might not otherwise become involved with. The business owners are fantastic, and all of them are doing something to make this community a wonderful place to live.”

Molly McGravey, an assistant director of residential education and director of the Sustainability Fellows program, says the program directly contributes to the “Sustainability Triple Bottom Line,” a sort of gold standard for the industry.

“It’s a guideline for three areas of sustainability benchmarks,” she says. “True sustainability addresses economic and social issues as well as environmental ones. This program hits all three— and I’m really thrilled with our progress.”

McGravey hopes that the program will provide a blueprint for other colleges in small communities to adopt. “My dream is for this to become a successful pilot program that other colleges can use as a model to help their own communities become more sustainable.”

The Sustainability Fellows program at Denison is funded by alumni who are passionate about sustainability issues and want to effect real change at a grass roots level.

What do you think? Post a comment below...

(Address will not be made public)

Current day month ye@r *

× two = 6

Comment Policy

Please note that new comment ratings will not appear immediately, but rather will be reflected within a few minutes.

9:42 AM March 29, 2013

Molly McGravey wrote:

Thanks for posting, Kai. I am always thankful for and encouraged by your dedication, energy, and passion for all you and the Sustainability Fellows do!

(0)

7:13 PM March 28, 2013

Kai kyles wrote:

This is an awesome article! Absolutely a phenomenal idea!

(0)

TheDen Archives