Get your move on

Print

In the pre-iPod 1970s, moving into the dorm was all about your record collection and your stereo components.  (That’s what they called the stack of heavy boxes with connecting cords, shiny knobs and illuminated dials: components.) With speakers that took up the space of two small people, there wasn’t much room left in the family sedan’s back seat for clothes and a toothbrush.

Your best hope was to have a roommate who brought his or her equipment from home, so all you needed to do was pack your favorite LPs. This sensible 1973 coed has hers loosely tied with twine, a neat idea to keep Carole King’s Tapestry from falling out of the sleeve and getting scratched.  More scratched.

And nothing says fun like a lampshade on your head at the start of fall semester … rock on!

What do you think? Post a comment below...

(Address will not be made public)

Current month ye@r day *

− 2 = six

Comment Policy

Please note that new comment ratings will not appear immediately, but rather will be reflected within a few minutes.

7:50 PM August 31, 2013

Molly saunders bailey wrote:

I remember the Dodge Dart, Laura! Didn’t she have a name? I just moved my youngest into a dorm in Chicago – we were greeted at curbside with student helpers and two huge bins-on-wheels to get all her stuff up the elevator to the 3rd floor. A little different from moving in my oldest – or myself – at Denison!

(0)

11:35 PM August 30, 2013

Tara Finn (Bull) wrote:

What a great picture! I remember shipping my stereo to school and shlepping the records – graduated in 1979.

(0)

10:46 PM August 30, 2013

Laura Jevnikar Welsh wrote:

That is me in my Dodge Dart!!

(0)

TheDen Archives