We’re so glad you’re here

20140606_juneo_photo_main_01

Summer: a time of rest and relaxation, peace and quiet, solitude and—wait, who are we kidding? This is Denison. We’ve been too busy enjoying our students and alums to enter summer mode just yet.

But we can’t complain. Between Commencement, Reunion Weekend, and the current sessions of June Orientation (June-O) occurring on campus, the past month has shown the best of what Denison has to offer.

With 422 first-years (of the 630 enrolled students in the class of 2018) planning on exploring campus with their parents over the next couple of weeks, we are already thinking about the next semester. And we’re excited.

For more than 40 years, June-O and the college’s First-Year Program have been helping incoming students take their first steps as Denison students. This includes scheduling classes, connecting with professors, meeting current students and alumni who serve on the June-O staff, and, perhaps most important, getting to know their future classmates.

And June-O isn’t students’ only opportunity to get accustomed to life on the Hill. The First-Year office also offers an Aug-O program; an outdoor orientation program that allows students to head off on a camping adventure with fellow first-years and faculty; a pre-orientation program for international students; and the Paving the Way Program through the Office of Multi-Cultural Student Affairs; among others.

As President Adam Weinberg said during the first session of June-O last week, “I rarely pull rank, but I wanted to be the first one to say: Welcome to the family. Welcome to Denison. We’re excited to have you here, and now that I’m almost done with my first year at Denison, I’m thrilled that there are going to be people who started after I did.”

Welcome, Class of 2018!

Comment Policy

What do you think? Post a comment below...

TheDen Archives